Chronicle


1936-1938
Establishment of the German Armed Forces’ Pioneer School 1 in Berlin-Karlshorst

March 1945
Evacuation of the Pioneer School to Bavaria and establishment of lines of defense around the property

23 April 1945
Handover of the Pioneer School to units of the 5th Soviet Shock Army

24 April 1945
Appointment of the commander of the 5th Soviet Shock Army, Colonel General Nikolai Berzarin, as First Berlin Military Commander

8 May 1945
Ratification of the unconditional surrender

June 1945-October 1949
Main office of the head of the Soviet Military Administration in Germany

10 October 1949
Transfer of administrative authority from the Soviet Military Administration to the GDR

7 November 1967
Dedication of the “Museum of the Unconditional Surrender of Fascist Germany in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945” by the Soviet Armed Forces in Germany on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the October Revolution

September 1990
Agreement on final provisions concerning Germany (including arrangements for the withdrawal of foreign troops from Germany)

November 1990
German-Soviet Friendship Agreement

December 1990
German and Soviet authorities agree on subsequent use of the museum building after the departure of the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany from 1991<
A German-Soviet (later German-Russian) commission of experts prepares a concept for a reorganized exhibition

May 1994
Founding of a German-Russian sponsoring organization, the “Museum Berlin-Karlshorst Association”

1994-1995
First construction phase. Partial renovation of the building and installation of the new permanent exhibition

10 May 1995
Opening of the German-Russian Museum Berlin-Karlshorst on the 50th anniversary of the end of World War II in Europe

October 1997
Conclusion of the second construction phase

27 November 1997
Opening of the first special exhibit, “Ilja Ehrenburg und die Deutschen” (“Ilja Ehrenburg and the Germans”)